Luke 12:25-26 (ESV) And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest?
Anxiety is a harsh reality for many of us. For some of us it’s just a mild annoyance we can easily push to the back of our minds’. For others, though, anxiety can be a crippling and miserable experience. I’ve struggled with anxiety on and off throughout my life. Usually it hits when I have a lot of stress at home, at work, with my kids, or my marriage. I start to feel helpless, like nothing I do is going to fix anything. I feel trapped, like I’ll never be enough; like this pain and worry will never end. But there is hope. There is always hope.
The truth is, living in this world, we will never be enough. We will never do everything right and we will never have a perfect life. We are living in the world and the world is full of sin and false expectations. When the world tells us we aren’t good enough, strong enough, pretty enough, or any of the other lies the evil one will tell us, we can only find peace in the Lord. The only thing we know to be true in this world is the word of God. When fear, anxiety, and worry take over, the Bible is the only place to turn.
Often, in the midst of our struggles, the Bible isn’t the first place we go when life gets us down. We get so wrapped up in what is in our mind, we have a hard time focusing on what is right and true. Here is a quick scripture guide for pushing through what you are dealing with:
- Proverbs 29:25 (ESV) The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is safe.
- Philippians 4:6-7 (ESV) do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
- Luke 12:25-26 (ESV) And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest?
- Psalm 23:4 (ESV) Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
- Isaiah 41:13 (ESV) For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you”.
- John 14:27 (ESV) Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
- 2 Timothy 1:7 (ESV) For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
Think About It:
- What stresses cause you the most anxiety?
- What can you tell yourself to relieve this fear and anxiety?
- It’s always a good idea to have someone to go to in these moments. Ask a girlfriend if she will be your “stress buddy” and send a text or give a call when you are feeling anxiety. She can help remind you of your favorite calming verse. In doing the same in return for her, you can also get a better perspective on the lies of the world.